Monday, March 2, 2009

diy project: kate’s industrial framed sconces

I will def be doing this in my living room! I close on the house on wednesday!!! 



KATE’S INDUSTRIAL FRAMED WALL SCONCE
(Bringing the Outside in)

What you’ll need:

-Two Frames
-Two Pieces of mat board cut to the size of your frames
-Funky fabric (enough to cover the mat boards)
-Mod Podge (or any decoupage glue)
-Spray Paint
-Two wall mounting lights
-Picture Hanging hardware

What to Do:

1. I got two Open Back Frames from Hobby Lobby for $30 (they go on sale all the time) and brought them home and sprayed painted them high gloss white. (They were a rough beachwood so for me it took 4 cans of spraypaint, but if you got a pair of more finished frames you could just sand them down and it would
probably only take a few coats.)

2. Then I took a piece of mat board that I had cut to the size of the frame and applied a thin layer of Mod Podge over the whole thing. Then I took my fabric and stretched it over the piece of mat board, making sure it was nice and flat. Then I applied another layer of Mod Podge over that and let it dry.

3. Then I trimmed the edges of the fabric, and fit the finished mat board in the frame.

4. Repeat the steps above with the other frame.

5. Now all you have to do is hang the frames at whatever level you want with the necessary hardware. I just installed the lights in the middle of each, and voila, instant focal point for behind my couch!

I hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Rochelle,
    your house is going to be the best looking nest in the midwest!

    ReplyDelete