here’s what you’ll need:
double-sided fusible interfacing
backing fabric (around 1 1/4 yards for an 18” pillow)
1. if your scarf is thin, (i.e. silk) fuse it to a piece of fabric with double-sided fusible interfacing and an iron, to give it extra strength before sewing.
2. for the envelope style backing, cut out two squares of your backing fabric that are 1” longer than your pillow and wide enough so that they will overlap by 2 to 3 inches after you’ve sewn a 1” hem along one side.
3. overlap the two pieces and pin together so they create a square that is 1” larger than your pillow insert all the way around.
4. with right sides together, stitch the top scarf piece to the envelope pillow backing all the way around using a 1/2” seam allowance.
5. turn right side out, press and insert your pillow.